This web page paperwork tips on how to substitute your PS4 Arduous Drive (HDD) or PS4 Pro arduous drive with a bigger one, or tips on how to substitute a damaged arduous drive your self in case of failure.
When changing the arduous drive, you should utilize a regular SATA II arduous drive or use a strong state (flash) drive. Beneath are the instructions for set up.
No matter drive you select, the improve course of may be very simple and does not require any technical information. Relying in your web pace, the file obtain and drive swap mixed should not take you greater than 15-20 minutes.
Should you comply with these steps, none of your save knowledge or digital games can be misplaced and your improve ought to guarantee that you’ve loads of house to retailer your favourite games and media.
The usual PS4 arduous drive is a 500GB 5400 RPM SATA II arduous dri, whereas the PS4 Professional features a 1TB drive. You possibly can substitute both arduous drive with any arduous drive that complies with these requirements, is not any thicker than 9.5mm, and is bigger than 160GB. On condition that HDD costs have come down considerably, you must undoubtedly take into account a drive that provides you loads of house, similar to a 2TB model. Changing your arduous drive with a suitable gadget doesn’t void your PS4’s warranty. You can too improve to a quicker 7200 RPM SATA II arduous drive. Observe that SATA II is typically known as SATA/300 or SATA three.zero GBps. A more moderen SATA III (SATA/600 or quicker) drive will work wonderful within the PS4, however you will not get the pace profit because it’ll function at SATA II speeds. For extra particulars on suitable arduous drives, see: PS4 Third-Party Hard Drive Solutions. Some standard arduous drives suitable with PlayStation 4 are:
Observe that the beneath footage present the set up for the Samsung Seagate Momentus 2TB drive, however the drives all look very related and the method is similar.
If you wish to use a tough drive you already personal that does not conform to the PS4 dimension restrictions, you may after all join it through a SATA cable as a substitute of the built-in arduous drive, however that might imply leaving the highest of your PS4 open. So the higher path stays swapping out the interior drive completely — and it is easy to do. Observe that there’s additionally a third-party drive improve answer on the horizon custom-made for the PS4 by Nyko, known as the Nyko DataBank, however we have now but to check it. The DataBank allows the usage of bodily bigger drives that would not in any other case match into the PS4 drive bay.
It doesn’t matter what answer you select, because you’re changing your drive outright, you’ll lose any of the information saved on the (outdated) arduous drive itself. This contains your wifi settings, sport and app installs, save knowledge, and different native consumer knowledge. Don’t be concerned, although: you may be certain that you do not lose something by creating back-ups and reinstalling the games you personal. The method for that’s detailed beneath.
Observe that your account settings are saved in your PSN account, so as soon as the brand new arduous drive is in place, you may re-add your account to the PS4 and log in. When you’re logged in, you may redownload any of the video games and DLC you bought from the PlayStation Store. Disc-based video games should be reinstalled by inserting them one after the other. It is best to again up your sport saves to a USB gadget or to the cloud (out there to PS Plus customers). The steps to do this are described beneath.
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Pc with web entry
- USB Flash Drive (1 GB minimal)
- 2.5 inch (inner kind) serial ATA arduous disc drive (HDD) (parallel ATA is just not supported)
1. Go to ps.com, and discover the newest system software program. The present web page for that is right here: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/system-updates/ps4/ (US) or right here: https://www.playstation.com/en-gb/get-help/ps4-system-software/ (UK). Scroll down and search for this part:
Click on the hyperlink (circled in crimson in our picture). There are a number of system software program recordsdata on Sony’s system software program web page — replace variations and full installs. Ensure you discover the newest model (the web page will show the newest model quantity up high — however the file obtain listed on the high is often the replace, not the complete set up you will want for a tough drive substitute). Search for the complete set up listed beneath “Carry out a New Set up of the System Software program,” because the smaller replace file will not work for a contemporary set up. The file needs to be nearer to 1 GB in dimension (some earlier variations have been round 700-800 MB, whereas replace recordsdata are round 300 MB).
Obtain the 700-800 MB system restoration/new set up software program. The latest obtain is this one, if you happen to’re having bother discovering it by yourself.
There isn’t a hazard in your PS4 utilizing the mistaken set up file so long as you downloaded it from ps.com — your system will notifiy you if it is the mistaken set up file (eg, an improve or outdated set up file). Don’t obtain system software program recordsdata from some other web sites, nonetheless!
2. Check your USB drive along with your PS4 first. Ensure it plugs snugly into one of many USB ports in your PS4 — some drives are too fats and cannot be inserted all the best way. In case your drive works, move on to the following step.
three. Plug your USB drive into your laptop. You should use a PC or a Mac, however you must be sure the USB flash drive is formatted as FAT or FAT32 to keep away from points. Most flash drives come preformatted and needs to be able to go, however if you wish to be certain observe that erasing and formatting your drive solely takes a number of seconds and the system could return an error with different codecs. On a PC, right-click the drive and choose Format from the menu. On Mac, use Disk Utility and erase and reformat utilizing MS DOS (FAT) and Grasp Boot Document scheme.
three. Create a folder titled PS4 (all caps) on the flash drive. Create one other folder titled UPDATE (all caps) inside that PS4 folder.
four. Move the system software program obtain into the UPDATE folder. The file title is PS4UPDATE.PUP. If the filename is totally different (maybe as a result of you may have a number of situations of replace recordsdata in your laptop), be sure to alter it again to that title earlier than you move on. Safely eject the USB flash drive. On Mac, hit the eject button subsequent to your drive in Finder.
5. It is time to again up your PlayStation 4 sport save knowledge. You possibly can both again up your saves to a different (or the identical) USB storage gadget, or if you happen to’ve acquired PlayStation Plus, to the cloud. Both method, go to the Settings, Utility Saved Knowledge Administration, after which choose System Storage and replica your saved knowledge to the USB Storage Machine or to the cloud.
You might be about to take out your outdated arduous drive. If you wish to resell it or give it to another person, do not forget that it nonetheless incorporates all of your consumer and save knowledge. If that is a priority, be sure to delete all the information after you create back-ups. You are able to do this out of your PS4 or through a pc.
6. Flip off your PS4. If the amber gentle is on, the system remains to be in standby mode. Maintain the off button till it turns off utterly. Then unplug the ability cable and take away some other wires which will get in the best way of engaged on the system.
7. Take away the left aspect of the PS4 case by merely miserable it and sliding it to the aspect, as proven.
All the left portion of the casing could be eliminated. It is not on rollers — you may simply elevate it up and off as soon as you have slid it to the left.
eight. Search for the screw head with PlayStation button symbols on it. It is a big philips/cross-style screw on the entrance left of the PlayStation. It holds the arduous drive case in place contained in the PlayStation 4. Take away this screw.
9. Tug the default arduous drive out by pulling it ahead — it ought to slide out freely.
10. You now must take away the arduous drive from its casing. Don’t be concerned, it is super-easy.
There are 4 screws, two on both sides. Take away them as proven, leaving the small rubber components in place. It is best to have 4 screws plus the silver PlayStation-branded screw to maintain secure.
Take away the arduous drive from its case and substitute it along with your new arduous drive. Ensure the screw holes line up on all sides and use the screw driver to place all the things again to gether.
11. Re-insert the arduous drive caddy along with your new arduous drive into the PlayStation four. Slide it in all the best way and screw the engraved PlayStation screw again in. Exchange the quilt.
12. Reconnect the PlayStation four to your TV and plug the ability twine again in.
13. Your PS4 has two USB ports on the entrance. Plug the USB Flash Drive into both port and the Dualshock 4 controller into the opposite one utilizing your controller cost cable (or some other USB cable).
14. Maintain the ability button (the highest of the 2 hidden buttons positioned within the “crack” between the 2 PS4 halves) down for 7 seconds to provoke secure mode.
15. The Secure Mode choices display will seem. Use your controller to choose the underside possibility: Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software program).
16. It could take a couple of minutes for the motion to be executed and for the reinstall course of to begin. Should you get an error message at this level, it’s more than likely associated to the model of the System Set up Software program you have acquired on the reminiscence stick (get the newest model of the complete set up, not the improve), or the listing (be sure it is PS4, UPDATE), or the format (FAT32).
As soon as the set up completes, signal again into your PSN account and full the preliminary setup. This contains time and date settings, web/wifi setup, and a few primary choices. From right here, you may restore your sport installs from discs and your sport saves from a USB stick or from the cloud.
Restoring sport saves is finished through the Setttings operate display. Choose Utility Saved Knowledge Administration, then choose the supply (USB or cloud) to revive every title’s knowledge. To reinstall video games you downloaded from the PlayStation Store, merely head into the shop utility and entry the Library possibility. You possibly can decide and select what video games to redownload. Observe that you just generally must dive into the “My DLC” part of every sport to obtain DLC content material you have beforehand put in.
That is it! Congrats.
The PS4 Professional arduous drive is functionally nearly similar to the PS4 for substitute functions. The one actual variations are within the location of the arduous drive within the chassis and the form of the mounting bracket. First, follow steps 1-6 above. Earlier than starting, be certain your PS4 is powered down and unplugged.
The Professional Arduous drive is hidden behind this panel on the again of the PlayStaton four Professional. Light take away the plastic.
This reveals a single screw. Take away it rigorously with a Phillips-head screwdriver to open the bay.
Slip the arduous drive out. You may now must take away it from its mounting bracket by unscrewing the 4 screws holding it in place.
Exchange the arduous drive along with your new drive within the mount, matching up the mounting factors and gently changing the screws.
Slide it gently however firmly into the HDD slot and safe the screw into the PS4 Professional case, then substitute the plastic panel. Then proceed with steps 12 and beyond from above.